Students Applying for Disabled Student Allowances

If you are dyslexic or have other specific learning difficulties you may be eligible for Disabled Students’ Allowances [DSA] to help you with extra study related costs. To apply you will need to supply evidence of your disability.

Evidence of dyslexia or other specific learning difficulties

You need to provide a full diagnostic report written after you were 16 from:

  • A chartered or practitioner psychologist
  • A specialist teacher holding a current Assessment Practising Certificate

The report should use the format and tests recommended in the SpLDs Working Group’s Guidelines.

What to do next

Contact your school, or the Disability Advisor at your university or college may be able to help arrange this.


Contact one of the organisations below.

The Health Professions Council [HPC] for psychologists HPC website

Patoss issues Assessment Practising Certificates to specialist teacher assessors and have lists of qualified assessors. Look on the Assessors page of this website to find an assessor in your area. Those listed who show they have an SpLD Assessment Practising Certificate will have the letters SpLD APC in their listing. If you want additional information or advice email the Patoss office. 

The Dyslexia Guild and the British Dyslexia Association also issue APCs.
Dyslexia Action: Dyslexia Action email
British Dyslexia Association: BDA email

You will need to pay for your diagnostic report.

More information on Disabled Students’ Allowances can be found on Student Finance England website .